There are so many Memorial Day weekend events in Brooklyn it’s hard to keep track, but we’ve taken the time to highlight our favorite happenings and recommended activities for a fun start to summer. Check out our favorite picks below. Don’t see your favorite? Leave a comment – we are always open to hearing about new and interesting happenings in Brooklyn!
- BBQ time! Just because you are in the city, doesn’t mean that you can’t spend the weekend doing America’s favorite pastime. Did you know you can barbeque in designated park areas? Check the NYC Park Department regulations on BBQ, but planning a BBQ outdoors is a great way to kick off the start of summer.
- Hit the water! On Monday May 26 Brooklyn beaches and pools are open to the public! It’s been a looong winter to say the least and you’ve earned some quality sun time.
- Memorialize – Remember what this day is really about by honoring those Americans that have fought for this nation by attending the Brooklyn Memorial Day parade. The event starts at 11 a.m. on 87th street and Third Avenue.
- Play Ball! Each year either the New York Mets or the Yankees play a game on Memorial Day. This year the New York Mets take on the Pittsburgh Pirates at 1:10 p.m. on Monday May 26. Getting to Shea Stadium is easy from Nu Hotel. Simply walk two blocks to the G train and switch over to the 7 train. The 7 train will take you right to the stadium
- Make it artful this Memorial Day, appreciate the arts. Check out the play The Killer at the Theatre for a New Audience. The play is written by famed Romanian playwright Eugène Ionesco a leading figure in French Avante Garde Theater. The show runs until June 29.
- Visit Coney Island! Few things beat a day at Coney Island! For over 85 years the Cyclone is still the BEST wooden rollercoaster we’ve ever been on. If this legendary ride is not enticing enough, ride the new Thunderbolt Roller Coaster. This iron rollercoaster will thrill you with its 90 degree vertical drop followed by a 100-foot loop and several hills, dives and more – all in less than two minutes. Just be sure to visit the original Nathan’s Hot Dog stand after hopping on these rides.